˟

Parable of the Day: The Monk Who Lived in Carelessness


There was a monk who lived in a monastery but did not care about the salvation of his soul and spent his days in idleness. He lived to an advanced age and was nearing death. When he fell ill with a deadly illness and was about to die, he did not fear death but was happy and praised God as he was getting ready to part with his body. His fellow monks, together with the abbot of that monastery, asked him:

“We have seen how you, brother, have been idle all your life. Why are you so fearless and happy at this frightening hour of death? May God’s power raise you so that you could explain it to us and make us praise God, too.”

The monk rose at his bed and told them:

“You’re right, honorable fathers, that I spent my life in idleness and carelessness. Just now God’s Angels have brought me a record of all my bad actions and read it to me. Having read it, the Angels asked me, “Do you plead guilty of all these actions?” I replied, “Yes I do. But since the day I gave up on the world and took the monastic vows, I have never judged anyone and never got angry with anyone. Therefore, I appeal to God that the words of Jesus Christ Judge not, that ye be not judged; if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you (Matthew 7:1; 6:14) be used in my case.” As soon as I uttered these words, the holy Angels tore the account of my sins apart. This is why I go to God with joy and happiness.”

Translated by The Catalog of Good Deeds

CONVERSATION