˟

The Mother of Crucified God: The Sorrows of Virgin Mary near the Cross


So, the day of Easter was coming – and so did the Passion of Christ. What did those days mean to the Mother of God? No tongue of the man dares to say about this, for no mother’s heart should know such sufferings, which the Mother of God faced looking at the sufferings of Her Son. The time Elder Simeon had told about finally came: “A sword will pierce through your own soul also, that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed” (Luke 2:35).

The Holy Church, moved by love towards the Mother of God, with the help of the best spiritual authors, hymnographers and men full of the Holy Spirit, tried to express in the limited human language the pain, worries and sorrows that the Mother of God lived through near the Cross of Her Son and Lord.

The blessed Virgin with other women was looking at Her Son and Lord hanged on the cross. Moaning and crying She said:

I see You my beloved Child, hanging on the Cross, and my heart is aching, - says the Blessed One, - but let Your servant speak...

...Peter escaped because of the fear of the Hebrews’ wrath, and all the loyal ran and left Christ, said the Virgin and cried...

...For the sake of Your mysterious and inexplicable Nativity, My Son, I was honored more than all the other mothers. Woe is me now, for I see You on the Cross and get burning with pain inside...


...The never setting Sun, eternal God and Creator of all the creatures, why are You bearing this passion on the Cross, - says the Virgin and cries...

...I see You beaten and dishonored, naked on the Cross, My Child, and I get wounded and mourn, for I am Your mother...

...Crying and wondering, Joseph and Nicodemus took the blessed body from the Cross and kissed it, honoring Him as our God...

...The Virgin and Mother took Him and laid Him on Her knees, She begged Him and kissed His body crying and then exclaimed...

...I am amazed while looking at You, Good God and generous Lord, lying beaten up without glory and without breathing. I hold your body and cry, for I do not even hope to see You again, My Son and Lord...

...Seeing Her Lamb led to slaughter, Mary followed Him together with other women, crying the following words: where are you going Child? Why are you going in such a hurry? Maybe for another wedding at Cana to turn water into wine again? Should I go with You, Child, or should I stay and wait for You here? Give me Your word, do not pass me by in silence, the One Who preserved My purity, for You are my Son and Lord...


...From now on, the joy will never come to Me, - the Blessed Virgin said. My Light and my Joy is now in the tomb, but I will not leave him there, I will stay here to die and be buried with Him”...

This is how our Holy Church dared to praise lovingly the Mother of God, Her sufferings and her grief in the Lenten Triodion.

Perhaps, if the Church did not know that the Lord and God would resurrect, that He would turn grief into joy, that He would wipe the tears away from our eyes and wash any sorrows away, then we would never dare to praise and write all these mournful chants; we would never dare to try to express Mary’s pain and grief for the Crucified Savior.


The word of St. Gregory of Neocaesaria:

“In the Name of the Father and of the Son of the Holy Spirit. Amen. All-Holy Virgin Mother of God, we humans cannot offer to you the hymn and the praise that is appropriate to you, for your proper praise is superior to any human melody. From you God Himself received flesh and was born as a human being. The totality of nature in heaven and on earth offers to you its boundless respect. For you have become an Angelic Throne of Cherubim. As a reflection of Light, You shine brightly in the imperceptible world and in all the ends of heaven and earth and in the whole universe, where the Unoriginate Father is praised, Whose power always overshadowed you; where the Son is worshiped, the Son to Whom you gave birth; where the Holy Spirit is glorified, the Spirit which enacted in your womb the birth of the Great King. Through you, who are full of grace, the Holy and Consubstantial Trinity is revealed in the world to become known by human beings. We pray to you and beseech you, Most Blessed Theotokos, to make us also worthy of you perfect grace that we too may partake of it with you in Christ Jesus, our Lord, in Whom the glory and the power abides unto the ages of ages. Amen.”

End of part VI
To be continued…


Click here to see full infographics.

CONVERSATION