˟

How the Book of Job can help us get through difficult times?


The Lord tells us in the Gospel “In the world ye shall have tribulation…” (John 16:33). Very often, we face unpleasant situations, sorrow, and suffering. We get sick or have difficulties at work. It is important that in these moments we do not succumb to despondency and depression, but instead remain grateful to God and thank Him for everything. Today we remember St. Job the Long Suffering from the land Uz. According to the Old Testament, Job was a God fearing man and lead a pious life. He had a big and happy family, wealth and good health. But the Lord allowed satan to test Job. 


Job lost everything he had and held dear: his wealth, his children and his health. Yet, during these difficult times he did not blame God and did not complain, showing us a true example of humility. For his firm faith in God and God’s will, Job was rewarded twice fold: he was healed from his illness, he had more children and became wealthier than before. Below are a few verses and quotes from the Book of Job which will help you to patiently go through difficult moments in your life, because in the same verse mentioned above in the Gospel of John the Lord reminds us to “…be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33):


•   •    And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. (1:21) 

•    But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips. (2:10)

•    Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward. (5:7)

•    Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole. (5:17-18)

•    Let not him that is deceived trust in vanity: for vanity shall be his recompence. (15:31)

•    For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy thisbody, yet in my flesh shall I see God: (19:25-26)


•    But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. (23:10)

•    My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go: my heart shall not reproach me so long as I live. (27:6)

•    Behold, in this thou art not just: I will answer thee, that God is greater than man. Why dost thou strive against him? for he giveth not account of any of his matters. For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. (33:12-14)

•    He shall pray unto God, and he will be favourable unto him: and he shall see his face with joy: for he will render unto man his righteousness. (33:26)

•    Surely it is meet to be said unto God, I have borne chastisement, I will not offend any more: (34:31)


•    Touching the Almighty, we cannot find him out: he is excellent in power, and in judgment, and in plenty of justice: he will not afflict. Men do therefore fear him: he respecteth not any that are wise of heart.
(37:23-24)







CONVERSATION