Icon of the Mother of God of Three Hands





According to the tradition, the icon was painted by or for St John Damascene and it is associated with his miraculous healing around the year 717. It is said that while he was serving as Vizier to the Caliph, he was falsely accused of treachery and his hand was cut off. Upon praying in front of an icon of the Theotokos his hand was miraculously restored. In thanksgiving, he had a silver replica of his hand fashioned and attached it to the icon. The Icon is commemorated on July 11.



CONVERSATION

10 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this before. Three hands. Learn something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading of healings.I believe God can still heal today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! This is interesting! I've never seen this painting before! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even notice the three hands when I first looked at the picture. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I've never seen this painting before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I never knew that! I didn't even notice the three hands at first!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never heard the reason behind this one. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    Marissa

    ReplyDelete